Wednesday, February 17, 2010

He almost made a century

My mom and I were just laughing and chatting. I went upstairs to do some work but left my door open. Next thing I knew I heard my mom talking to someone on the phone and she sniffed and said in Ilonggo "papa is gone". This was at 6:30pm. I rushed downstairs ... I wasn't sure I heard her right. After my mom put the phone down I asked her about it and she told me that Lolo Caloy passed away.

Lolo Caloy turned 96 last Sept. 13, 2009. He had his first heart attack in 2009. He did not have any illness such as asthma or an ulcer or a heart condition. He had poor eyesight and poor hearing, but both can be blamed on his advanced age.

Before he passed away he acquired pneumonia and was getting much weaker. My uncle says that he was saying goodbye the day before and was pointing at people only he could see around him in his room. He went to sleep and didn't wake up.

Lolo Caloy lived longer than most people I know. We used to tease him that he must be aspiring to hit a hundred. Of his siblings he was the last surviving member. When he would ask us why Jesus would not get him yet we would joke with him and say either "only the good die young" or "ang masamang damo nga naman". Long and short ... lolo had a checkered past, hehehe

My mom is leaving for Davao tomorrow. I believe her other siblings will also be there by then. My sisters and I will be following on Saturday.

Lolo Caloy is at peace now. The funeral is set for Sunday afternoon. I will know all the details when we arrive in Davao on Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment